A dangerous situation shown with a burnt electronical socket

After a long, hot summer, the fall weather can be a nice relief. When the weather turns and the nights grow longer, there are few things to remember so that you can keep your household safe. These electrical safety tips should help you reduce the chances of receiving a shock, having to deal with a malfunction, or facing the very real danger of a fire.

Clean up Around the House

Even though Tampa doesn’t get that cold, you may have deciduous trees on your property. These trees lose their leaves during fall, and those leaves could collect near your home. If these dry leaves are near outlets, light fixtures, or power cords, there’s the potential that a spark could cause them to catch on fire. To prevent this from happening, remove leaves from your property in the fall.

Inspect your Outlets

Outlets seem like they might be able to last forever, but they can get worn down just like anything else can. This could be more likely if you use them frequently. In other instances, outlets haven’t bee installed properly. Whatever the cause, it’s important that you replace any outlets that seem damaged or loose. If they’re discolored, this is a bad sign as well, since it could indicate a short circuit. Short circuits could easily start fires.

Make Sure Your Outdoor Devices Are Ready for the Weather

Outdoor electrical items should be inspected before you plug them in. This includes lights and decorations that you’d like to display during the holidays. First, you need to make sure that they were designed to work outdoors. They also need to be in good shape so they can withstand the elements. If water gets in, the electrical components could stop working. Another potential concern is that the internal wiring could malfunction and cause sparks to fly.

Have Your Electrical Panel Inspected

You may want to have a professional electrician take a look at your electrical panel to make sure it’s up to code. In the winter, you probably put a lot more stress on your system, especially if you have holidays lights and displays to plug in. If a circuit is overloaded, it could shut off as a safety measure. It could also overheat, a scenario that’s particularly dangerous. Intense heat could damage the insulation around the wiring. When wiring is exposed, electricity can flow where it shouldn’t. It could cause smoke or fire, and it could pose a danger to anyone who may be around it. At Mr. Electric, we can assess what’s going on and upgrade your panel, as necessary, so that it can better meet your needs.

This fall, we hope you can stay safe, and this information can help you do so. Call Mr. Electric if you could use a hand.

Call Now Button